The last month, my Instagram feed has been all about homegrown courgettes. And it’s beautiful. And I’m jealous. I have a few scattered pots of stuff (all legal) on my balcony, but alas no room currently for this gorgeous veg.
This is a really simple recipe which I’ll be making as a starter for everyone I know forever until I die. Amen.
Ready rolled puff pastry cut into a 22cm x 22cm square
1 courgette thinly sliced
drizzle of olive oil
pinch of salt
1 red chilli finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon caster sugar
½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
zest of ½ lime
squeeze of lime juice
zest of ½ lime
small handful coriander
small handful rocket
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Take your puff pastry square and lightly score the edge, being careful not to cut through, leaving a 1 cm border. Then lightly again, prick with pastry in the middle (up to where you’ve scored) with a fork. This will help the pastry to puff up less in the middle.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the courgettes and season with salt. Layer up the slices over where you’ve pricked (that sounds so wrong) the pastry. Pop onto the baking tray and into the oven for around 30 minutes or until golden.
- In the meantime, to make the chilli caramel, add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer gently for 10 minutes. It will start to thicken slightly. Then remove off the heat.
- Drizzle the caramel over the tart, and garnish with lime zest, coriander and rocket.
Or why not try the chilli caramel over griddled asparagus, with some crushed nuts!
If you tried the recipe, tag @PetitVeg, I’d love to see your tart!