The sweetness released from garlic by slowly poaching is just magic. I mean on a Hermione Granger level. The mellow cloves can be used in so many different ways, and I’ve listed a few of my favourite below the recipe. I have used six garlic heads, but just use however many you have.
6 garlic heads, cloves peeled
- In a small pan add the garlic cloves, and submerged in olive oil, so it just covers the cloves.
- On the lowest heat, gently poach the cloves for around 35/40 minutes.
- Let this cool completely to room temperature.
- Transfer the cloves and oil to an airtight, sterilised jar, and refrigerate.
Always keep in the fridge, make sure cloves are always under the oil, and use a clean spoon every time you take cloves out. This should last 3/4 months (if indeed it last that long without eating it all!)
- Add to mash potato
- Mix into steamed or roasted veg
- Whisk into a vinaigrette for delicious salad dressing
- Use it to make houmous
- Add to soups
- Spread onto crusty bread or toast. For a real treat, make toast with any bread you like, spread butter, then a spreadable mature cheddar cheese, add the garlic confit cloves and spread across, and finally add some fresh thyme or oregano.